If you’ve been following my blog or Instagram (if not, follow me @oliverinstead), you probably remember that I was recently presented with the valuable opportunity conventionally reserved for industry pro to go into the ZipZone Paris showroom during Paris Fashion Week (read my Paris Diary here) – which was both exciting and eye-opening.
As if the chance to preview these talented designers’ works wasn’t enough, I also got to meet Yu Zhou, the creative director behind Yuzzo London, who I’ve been keeping close contact with in the past few weeks. All along I’d been very keen to write-up on her beautiful designs showcased at the presentation but I was also extremely eager to see the new lookbook in the works then, which is why this feature post’s been delayed for so long. However, the wait is finally over and here’s an exclusive sneak peek of Yuzzo London S/S15 lookbook:
During the time we were communicating via emails, we had a quick Q&A talking about the brand’s philosophy, her visions for the label and of course, the current collection inspired by the iconic literary character, Alice of Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland:
- As a brand, what does Yuzzo London stand for? Yuzzo London is named and established by a Chinese-born fashion designer based in London (Yu Zhou herself). It is a contemporary womenswear label that aims to express inner emotions with simple and elegant designs.
- What is the inspiration behind your current collection? Entitled “Wonderland of Alice”, the collection is named after an unexpected trip to Oxford. It is inspired by the infantality and simplicity of Alice, as well as her independence and strength. The collection centres on the view of Wonderland for an older Alice: a world of fantasy. The collection features embroidery, soft natural colours and a romantic digital print.
- What was the creative and designing process like? The designing process for me is all about thinking, amending and to discover and understand myself as a designer. It takes time and it’s a challenging process. Every season I start from a theme to tell a story and develop from there. I then design every detail and every piece with the theme in mind, including style, pattern cutting, colours and texture development. The most important and necessary process I will definitely come across is the amending and discovering, it allows me to relearn my design’s core language and concept.
- What are your plans for Yuzzo London moving forward to the next season? I will put more focus on textile development and pattern cutting details. I’m also planning to collaborate with shoe and accessory designers to finish a complete collection. There might even be an accessories collection that will reveal some neutral style design, depending on the key style orientation.
- What can we expect from your next collection? Again, for next season I will start with a theme and story as usual. That will then lead to textile design combined with handcraft as well as some clean yet detailed pattern cutting that will be the highlight point according to my concept. Beauty always comes from imperfect process with unknown spirit inside. We tend to notice the external look but ignore unseen details, so I will be thinking and discovering more about vision and feeling, revealment and concealment.
Personally, I’m a big fan of soft chalky hues in womenswear. I find it very youthful and feminine wonderfully balanced with much sophistication. In this collection, I also like the clever contrast of darker, vivider tones that toughen up the selected few items and put more emphasis on the ‘strength’ aspect in the concept.
Zhou is a very level-headed young talent and hugely determined and driven so I’m excited to see where her career takes her in the coming years. I wish her nothing but the very best of luck in the future and all the success she deserves! I’m expecting nothing less than a stellar collection come next season!! 加油!!