Fashion Outfits

OOTD: Black & Electric Blue

electricIt’s been two weeks since my last outfit post so it’s nice to finally be able to do an update. This new look is all about the very eye-catching American Apparel wool pea coat. There are two ways of styling a bold colour like this, 1) Colour block with even bolder colours or 2) Go subtle. Go monochrome. On this occasion, I chose the latter.

electric3electric2Coat: American Apparel | Cardigan: Topman (similar) | Shirt: Topman (similar) | Necktie: Vintage | Skinnies : Topman | Socks: Pantherella* | Loafers: Marc Jacobs

American Apparel hadn’t been my usual choice when it comes to clothing but I was pleasantly surprised by their branding and USP upon my first visit – I admire the fact they’re sweatshop-free and that everything is made in Los Angeles (the clue is in the name really), which is also reflected in their prices… At £156, this coat is not cheap as far as high street prices go but it’s definitely a worthwhile investment if you prefer ethical fashion or desire something more out-there this winter. I wore it out to the Christmas market a couple of weeks ago and wow, did it attract some looks!! 😀 It’s worth noting that it also comes in a variety of colours so if you’re after something less vibrant, then check out the link above!!

I didn’t want any other elements of the outfit to distract the attention from the coat so I kept everything else simple in plain dark shades. I love the contrasting collar on this Topman shirt under the cardigan. I think it works really well with this vintage leather skinny necktie, which is the best eBay find ever!! Here, I’m also wearing these beautiful leather Marc Jacobs loafers, a TKMaxx steal for just under £140… God knows how much they would’ve cost originally!!electric4

Finally, I’m beyond thrilled to feature these classic Pantherella socks very kindly gifted by Private White V.C., two brands that pride themselves on producing their goods locally in the UK. The truth is, I’m not sure what to think about bloggers who do hauls at certain high street stores and glorify these unethical fashions. Even though I understand the pressure for such figures to keep popping out new looks all the time, personally, there are only a handful of shops in town I trust and feel comfortable shopping at so it’s an incredible honour to have the support from brands that pay fair wages.

Love, Oliver

What do you think about the look? Where do you stand on the ethics in fashion?

nishkpatel
    December 17, 2014 at 1:49 pm

That coat is beautiful! I love your monochrome styling too, I think it really makes the colour pop. I’ve never really considered ethical shopping (definitely something I should think about sometime) but I do love supporting small businesses and charity shops over high street stores x

Dannii @ Hungry Healthy Happy
    December 17, 2014 at 4:24 pm

I love that colour, it really suits you as well. A good coat is essential.

Yo Yo Tom
      December 19, 2014 at 12:58 pm

Yeah i completely agree…

twirlytwirly
    December 17, 2014 at 8:25 pm

That coat is absolutely amazing. If it was a little more within my budget I’d definitely consider buying it for my boyfriend. I like your ethical shopping morals and I think we all need to be more aware of where our clothes come from. It’s a shame so many ethically made clothes cost so much, I guess it’s often easier for people to try to put sweatshops etc to the backs of their minds when to comes to buying clothes, thinking that they cant make much of a difference themselves (I’m guilty of this) I try to buy second hand and vintage where I can as I find that’s the easiest way, but sadly do find myself buying in less ethical shops too. Could make an interesting post – where to buy affordable and ethical clothes on the high street.

manchesterflickchick
    December 18, 2014 at 3:32 pm

Cool and classy outfit dude. The electric blue really suits your skin tone, I should wear more electric blue seeing as my skin is a similar tone.

oliverinstead
      December 18, 2014 at 7:45 pm

Thanks! Personally I think I wear too much blue sometimes but yeah, it’s a great colour for me and it’s never boring so…

manchesterflickchick
        December 18, 2014 at 10:37 pm

Exactly! I wore lilac and actually looked grey yesterday, any tips for me? ☺

oliverinstead
          December 18, 2014 at 10:44 pm

Lilac is not really the colour I’m most familiar with (SHOCKER!!)… plus, I doubt you can find that colour in any menswear departments, which is rather sad. I honestly think we should be as adventurous as the ladies when it comes to colour.

• manchesterflickchick
            December 18, 2014 at 10:53 pm

No shit, ha! I agree men should have more of a choice with colour. Hiphop/skater clothes are pretty vibrant though. I meant what colours would you suggest avoiding/embracing with Asian/pale mixed race skin tones? :0)

• oliverinstead
            December 19, 2014 at 12:37 pm

Well, I would avoid pastel tones… and go for something more earthy, I think army green or any brown shades look great on tanned skin but there’s no harm mixing it up with a dash of bold colour. :)

• manchesterflickchick
            December 19, 2014 at 2:53 pm

I was thinking along those lines as well – cheers!