Fashion Outfits

OOTD // Petal Paradise in Chiang Mai

petal001

SAWADEE KAP!!! For the second outfit post in my South East Asian trip, I came to Chiang Mai, the largest city in Nothern Thailand.petal001

In here, I spent a few days inside the walled city and a couple more trekking up in the mountains where I stayed with the hill tribes… which was quite an experience, probably one I will never repeat but definitely something I will always remember.

Near the hotel where I was staying, I spotted this beautiful prop Mercedes-Benz looking oh so full of 1960’s, colonialistic style and figured it would serve as a fabulous background for my next shoot… so I set out to match its glory and put together this outfit with what I had in my suitcase. Let me know if I achieved that…

petal004 petal003

Shirt: Topman | Tee: H&M | Skinnies: Topman | Loafers: Hudson | Bracelet: Chiang Mai local boutique

Because the background was relatively dark, I wanted more of the outfit to come through in the pictures, so I centred the look on this Topman floral print shirt with a light colour base, the perfect piece not just for this shoot but also for the hot day that it was. Even though the temperature was ever rising, I played with layers here with a simple plain white v-neck tee from H&M. To emphasise on this concept, I rolled the short sleeves up to show the double shades of white of the two tops.

I know I don’t accessorise enough, which is why on this occasion I decided to be more adventurous (by my own standards) with the little extras considering I was on an exotic voyage.

petal002This exquisite handmade bracelet with rusty brass bells and faux tusk details was found in one of the many adorable boutiques in town. I thought the materials were great representations of where I was as elephants are such iconic symbols to the kingdom.

Chiang Mai is perhaps one of my favourite South East Asian cities. It’s got a very chilled vibe that I particularly enjoyed. In terms of the locals, let’s just say they were much much more welcoming and genuine than most of their friends down in the capital. There are tons of great little independent shops where you can find stunning handmade (on the premises) goods from clothes and accessories to stationery and plenty of bits and pieces you can and cannot think of… so lots of surprises! For example, at the indoor night bazaar, I met this lovely Thai-Chinese man who made some gorgeous unisex jewellery so I bought one off him for myself and then some as souvenirs for the fam. I also walked pass a shop owned by a famous local graffiti artist x t-shirt designer, with whom I secured a collaboration. For the moment, I can reveal that it will include an outfit post for when I return to the UK, plus some giveaway goodies so keep your eyes peeled, guys!! It was so sad saying goodbye to Chiang Mai but I know it won’t be long until I return again and spend even more time there because there was just too much that I missed… If you have the chance, make sure you give this cultural gem a try!!

Until the next post, it’s cheerio from me!!

Love, Oliver

Let me know what you think of my outfit!

manchesterflickchick
    February 4, 2015 at 2:53 pm

It sounds like such a cool, vibrant and maybe more importantly, a friendly place :o) It’s clever that you take into account where you have to shoot and you put your outfit together accordingly. I hate literally blending into the background!

oliverinstead
      February 6, 2015 at 1:46 pm

It is. It’s such a cool place to spend some time in and just relax… I thoroughly enjoyed my time there and almost wish I had planned a longer stay there because I missed out quite a bit. Yes, I know… I have to be extra careful with my shoots now because there are NO reshoots at all. Scary really. :/

Manchester Flick Chick (Chrissie)
        February 6, 2015 at 9:52 pm

I think the fact you are doing any OOTD shoots while traveling is v dedicated. I’d be publishing touristy photo’s! :0)

oliverinstead
          February 7, 2015 at 2:40 am

Thanks! That means a lot to me… It does take loads of planning but it’s fun, as I get to pose in alien environments. :)

• Manchester Flick Chick (Chrissie)
            February 7, 2015 at 8:01 pm

I’m good at posing but the looks on my face are hilarious! You do that ‘model’ look (no particular expression) really well :0)

• oliverinstead
            February 9, 2015 at 7:55 am

Oh thanks! I do try (by not trying)… lol

Oliver xx

Ellie
    February 5, 2015 at 7:33 pm

I love your outfit! I used to live in bangkok and we would go to chiang mai for school trips and holidays in general – it’s such an amazing place! hope you’ve had a fab time x

oliverinstead
      February 6, 2015 at 1:49 pm

Thanks, Ellie! I’m surprised to hear that you used to live in Bangkok… I don’t know what it was like when you were there but now it’s a bit too sleazy for my liking and the people aren’t necessarily the friendliest… they try to rip you off every opportunity, which puts me off the place so much. You don’t get that in Chiang Mai. :)

amy
    February 6, 2015 at 5:14 pm

you always shoot in amazing locations!!! xx

Amy
    February 6, 2015 at 9:45 pm

I love this outfit! I really like the loafers and that gorgeous shirt! Great post xx

amy
    February 9, 2015 at 7:29 am

i love this outfit!! such a great print on the shirt xx

heather@BuryFamilyLife
    February 9, 2015 at 7:49 am

oh wow, what beautiful photography. It sounds like a lot of planning and thought goes into these photos – you must be very proud of them

oliverinstead
      February 10, 2015 at 2:49 pm

Thanks Heather!! Though I can’t take credit for the photography… I’m very fortunate to have my partner in crime to assist me in that department!! Shoutout to David!! 😉

Oresiriteru Ikogho
    February 9, 2015 at 8:53 am

How have I not see your blog before !!
    I’m following you now 11
    such a unique style :) Love it !!

oliverinstead
      February 10, 2015 at 2:52 pm

Hey, thanks so much for the kind words!! It sound corny but it really means so much to receive support from my readers!! :)

Mari