Fashion

Five style rules I break

stylerules01
stylerules02Words: @oliverinstead • Photos: Myself & David • Location: Te Rere Bay, NZ

Ok, cat outta da bag, I am guilty of breaking many style rules despite being the most obedient person under normal circumstances. People give me side eyes or just blatantly express their unwarranted hatred towards my sense of style when I don’t dress according to the norms and I’m here to share with you guys the 5 style crimes I commit on a daily basis… that you probably should, too.

我承认有罪。本人在穿着打扮中经常为非作歹,因而引起旁人斜眼或当面控诉我。不过我不管!我现在就告诉你我犯的五项时尚法则,让大家知道你也可以尽量放胆去把衣服搭出你自己的感觉,不必跟随他人的步调!

First of all, you should keep doing you but I’m not saying you should literally break every single dressing rule in existence because a flashy floral suit at a funeral is most definitely not going to end cute for anyone. It’d get you more than a side eye… perhaps a black eye. If you’re lucky. Anyway, here we go:

stylerules031. I adore denim on denim.

Too much denim is never enough for me… I have worn double denim accessorised with even more denim and I honestly do not understand what the fuss is about? Can someone explain this to me? 第一,我爱丹宁配丹宁。很多人觉得这个搭配很‘过’,我不但不觉得它‘过’而且好很有味道… 偷偷跟你说,我曾经穿过三重丹宁捏!

2. I don’t own a lot of what others would consider must-haves.

Even though I do have my personal fav items that I cannot live without, I just don’t believe in buying everything the society believes a man who cares about his attire should own, especially when they’re really not that necessary. Say for someone who lives in Malaysia, a tee, a pair of shorts and some shoes fit for walking is all you need – everything else is optional. I mean, I don’t even have a suit… need I say more? 第二,我没有其他人认为是必俱的衣服。我认为所有人都应该先了解自己的喜好后再跟据这些条件来买衣服,而不是盲目追寻和拷贝大众的穿着。

stylerules04 stylerules053. I wear formal items for casual occasions, and vice-versa.

I turn up at job interviews in my leather biker jacket and when I’m not wearing a heavy cotton tee on top of yet another tee in the blazing summer heat by the beach, I go hiking in my brogues – not my most sensible life decision but hey, there’s no place for sensibility in fashion!! 第三,我的穿着和场合往往不搭。我穿机车夹克去面试,穿布洛克鞋去远足,在夏日中穿个双曾厚厚的T恤去走沙滩…

stylerules094. I hate wearing visible socks.

Keyword: visible. I do wear liners, or trainer socks, or invisible socks, or dinky socks… whatever you label them, they’re great. 4. 我爱隐形袜。广东话所谓的“着鞋唔着袜”虽然是很多人都啃不下的骨头,不过它却是我最喜欢的调调。

5. I don’t follow trends.

Finally, I don’t consider myself ‘trendy’ as such because my style is not influenced by trends… although it’s easier for me to say because menswear generally doesn’t get too carried away with the whole ‘trend’ thing. We tend to recycle the basics that are always in anyway, apart from the odd ones like the currently trending souvenir jackets, which I actually really dig. 第五,我不崇拜潮流。我也并不觉得我很‘时尚’。和女装比起来,男装并没有所谓的‘潮流’… 某些颜色或许在某个季节会比较受欢迎,不过我们穿的都还不是那几样。所以对我来说不跟风其实不难。

stylerules08 stylerules07

Those are it. Do you share any of them? Are you my partner in crime? 😉 If not, what other style rules and regulations do you not comply with when you put together an outfit? Let me know! 记得让我知道你犯过哪些时尚的罪哦!别怕,我不会举报你滴…

John Howe
    April 3, 2016 at 2:30 pm

I too get some odd looks Oliver, but that is because I have NO style at all:-(

Alana
    April 3, 2016 at 3:38 pm

Yes to the double denim! I’m currently wearing black jeans with a faded black denim shirt and I don’t see what’s wrong with it! Keep breaking the rules!
    Alana x

April 4, 2016 at 8:13 pm

YES YES YES! People seem to think double denim means a lot of blue but no, there are different coloured denim so I always try to play with the shades when I layer with denims. :)

emma white
    April 3, 2016 at 3:44 pm

I actually live in denim and often pull the double denim off – your right you should wear what you love

Kara
    April 3, 2016 at 4:24 pm

As long as you don’t wear socks with sandals, that’s a fashion that cannot be forgiven!

April 4, 2016 at 8:14 pm

Oh no, even I know better than that… Even though it’s becoming quite a trend on the catwalk right now but still… lol

Blog Andra Dorolti
    April 3, 2016 at 5:06 pm

The last thing is my favourite because I don’t follow trends either. I go with the flow and I love it! :)

Dadvworld
    April 3, 2016 at 5:07 pm

I tend to just wear what I want. Most days I’m doing my dad duties at home so shirts and t shirt is what I wear pretty much every day!

April 4, 2016 at 8:14 pm

Haha! So true… at home I look absolutely disgusting in my comfy clothes, it’s embarrassing. :/

vicky lawless
    April 3, 2016 at 6:30 pm

I try and match but it doesn’t usually works, so i end up wearing the same 4 things over and over again until i have to go and buy some new clothes

Rachel
    April 3, 2016 at 7:03 pm

I dont follow trends either, I wear what I want to wear and feel comfortable in :o)

Monica
    April 3, 2016 at 7:34 pm

I get some odd looks from time to time but I have grown to accept my difference and not care about others’ thoughts on my look!

April 4, 2016 at 8:15 pm

You’re gorgeous the way you are (no, really!), babe! Stay flawless!!

Tori Gabriel
    April 4, 2016 at 6:10 pm

I wear what feels comfortable and never mind the dictates of society! Saying that though, dressing up for job interviews is a must. I recruit for my company and I get bad impressions from people who show up in jeans and hoodies.

April 4, 2016 at 8:16 pm

I do dress up smart for job interviews, just in my own way. Hoodies though… I can’t believe people actually do that? Shocking!

Yvonne
    April 4, 2016 at 6:52 pm

I always wonder the same about denim on denim, I dont understand what the fuss is all about. Totally agree with the visible socks. That said I am far from fashionable, but I wear what makes me happy :) x

April 4, 2016 at 8:17 pm

Finally! Glad to find someone who agrees with me on the socks deal! 😉

Zena's Suitcase
    April 4, 2016 at 7:52 pm

Finding your own style is so important. Who wants to look like everyone else that just walked of the catwalk any how. I do draw a line at too much denim though, but it seems to be becoming a thing now

Vlad
    April 5, 2016 at 6:15 am

Number 3, same! I mean all of the numbers are same with me lol. Fashion is a way to express yourself and it shoulfnstay that way! We don’t have to follow any trends to be “cool”. Anyway JUST people who are interested in Fashion really knows what those trends are.

April 5, 2016 at 9:54 am

Thanks for the comment, Vlad! I’m very much interested in trends, otherwise I wouldn’t go to LC:M but at the same time, I agree that style is a way of expressing oneself and my personality doesn’t change according to the seasons. :)

Rhian Westbury
    April 5, 2016 at 4:27 pm

I think as long as you’re happy with what you’re wearing that is the main thing. I love double denim, nothing wrong with that! x

Ana De- Jesus
    April 5, 2016 at 10:27 pm

Haha I am the same too! I am incapable of dressing casual there is always something dressy about me! I love double denim if it is in different colours.

Idaintyit
    April 6, 2016 at 1:24 pm

Phew! The whole way through I was waiting for you to say you wore socks with sandals haha very glad you didn’t as I would have ran for the hills LOL But seriously I htink its great to be yourself and wear what you like, who cares what others think?! I probably don’t like their outfit anyway

Jolene monaghan
    April 6, 2016 at 10:50 pm

i think some people get away with any look.. its all about confidence.. you are rocking the double denim.. i dont think i would rock it so well .. your pics are amazing

Ickle Pickle
    April 7, 2016 at 10:25 am

Love this post – my teens are always saying you just CANNOT wear ‘double denim’ they call it! I am way to old to have much style 😉 luckily, you have bags of it!! Kaz x

Candace
    April 8, 2016 at 9:43 pm

Wow some beautiful scenic shots here. Really love your outfit too

April 8, 2016 at 9:45 pm

Thanks Candace. New Zealand as a whole is very scenic… I miss it so, so much.