Foodie Friday Lifestyle

Brunch at Neighbourhood, Manchester

neighbourhood001
Words & Photos: @oliverinstead

If there’s one thing you really need to know about me is that I’m a glutton… no, really, I am. Even though I don’t usually reveal this side of me to the Internet, I thought I’d attempt a restaurant review because last weekend, myself and ma little muffin were invited to the brunch menu launch at Neighbourhood in Spinningfields, down town Manchester.

The vibe – 8/10

I’m not a fan of loud places where I have to compete with the next person’s vocal folds elasticity and lungs to maintain a conversation (I’m such a pop…) and this place, although looks very much like that during the night (this is Spinningfields after all), the daytime setting is perfect – chilled, with just enough buzz that you don’t feel like you’re dining in a library, or a warzone.

neighbourhood005Also, the company of fellow foodie Elsa from ElsaEats and fashion blogger Andra from her namesake blog made for a much more enjoyable experience too!

neighbourhood002

The service – 9/10

The waitresses were extremely friendly and helpful. Although I did have to ask several times for a glass of water, I’d put that down to the ongoing chaos during service causing them to forget, which happens. While we’re on the subject, I really do NOT appreciate people making a huge fuss when a waiter forgets something, just anything, especially if they have a million jobs at hand because humans, forget, things.

The meal – 8.5/10

neighbourhood003The quality of the ingredients didn’t go unnoticed as it was faultless. I was particularly impressed with the perfectly ripe and creamy avo (in tremendously generous serving too!) and as a religious avo consumer I know how hard it is to get such fresh fruits.

neighbourhood004Additionally, the meat produce, all of which sourced locally was also top notch. However, as a complete baked beans snob, I take issue with restaurants using Heinz baked beans – it’s fuss-free to make your own so that to me was disappointing. There was also an issue with some missing toasts on the dishes but again, in their defence, it was hectic so mistakes were forgiveable.

Finally, perhaps I’ve just grown too used to it but I expect it to be a common courtesy in all food establishments to offer the option of wholemeal, or at least brown bread but we weren’t so that’s something you might need to be aware of.

All in all, we were there to taste and our taste buds were most definitely treated well to delicious food. The fact that it was accompanied by a nice ambience as well as excellent, friendly service was a huge bonus. Ultimately, the million-ringgit question remains, would I ever go back again? And I can honestly say I would, so if you ever find yourself craving for brunch in Manchester, I’d recommend considering Neighbourhood’s newly launched menu. Check out their website here.

Please note that even though the entire meal was provided by Neighbourhood, all views are mine, and mine only… and you can always count on me to be that lovable assh*le who gives you an honest review. 😉

Bill
    April 8, 2016 at 10:55 am

Now that is the kind of restaurant review I like! More of the same please.

And I agree with you about not making a fuss if a waiter forgets something. I know I’d struggle to remember everything if serving a lot of different tables at once.

April 8, 2016 at 7:37 pm

Oh don’t worry! I intend to review more restaurants in the future…!!

Rhian Westbury
    April 8, 2016 at 2:53 pm

The food looks really good, especially the sandwiches, making me hungry now. I totally agree I don’t like it when people make a fuss when they forget something, unless you’ve asked twice or more. x

April 8, 2016 at 7:39 pm

I feel hungry myself just looking at these pics and salivating over them! Exactly, there’s no need for those kind of behaviour in public if you ask me.

Katy - Hot Pink Wellingtons
    April 8, 2016 at 3:09 pm

I love brunch – it’s one of my favourite meals to go out for! The smoked salmon, scrambled egg and avocado looks fabulous, I love that combination. I can’t say I share your baked bean love though – I hate the things!

April 8, 2016 at 7:40 pm

The salmon, eggs and avocado was delicious. However, it was meant to be served with toast and to be completely honest, it needed some carbs – without it, the texture was just slimy and weird to swallow. :/

Laura
    April 8, 2016 at 4:54 pm

You can’t beat a good brunch! For someone that doesn’t like baked beans, I would have been happy they were in a pot and not covered in my plate!!

Harriet from Toby & Roo
    April 8, 2016 at 6:26 pm

This look genuinely good! I love a good brunch – it’s the only way to eat on a weekend x

hannah gee
    April 8, 2016 at 7:03 pm

Ooh we keep meaning to go in here, you’ve tempted us now, it’s a shames that they don’t offer gluten or wholemeal though that would never definitely be better! x

April 8, 2016 at 7:48 pm

Yes, I was let down ever so slightly by not being offered the option of wholemeal bread but that didn’t affect my meal. I still very much enjoyed it despite not being a huge ‘brunch’ person!

Dean of Little Steps
    April 8, 2016 at 7:19 pm

All the dishes look absolutely delicious. I love eating too and wouldn’t say no to any of the dishes you’ve just had :)

Cliona O'Connor
    April 8, 2016 at 7:55 pm

Your pics are fab….making me hungry!! I just love brunch and if my kids ever let me off on my own across the pond to Manchester I’ll def be tempted to go there!!

April 8, 2016 at 7:58 pm

Haha you can always bring them with you… It’s family-friendly (sort of) during the day. 😉

Nina
    April 8, 2016 at 10:36 pm

I love it! You’ve put so much detail in this review x

Elsa Lee
    April 8, 2016 at 10:41 pm

It was definitely good food, I’m considering taking my sister there when she next pops down!

hannah
    April 8, 2016 at 11:25 pm

Looks amazing! Always wanted to go to Neighbourhood!

Elizabeth
    April 9, 2016 at 6:10 am

Mmmm these look like some seriously good eats! I’ve never heard of this place but I’ll have to check it out next time I’m in Manchester.

April 9, 2016 at 10:49 am

Hey Elizabeth, I love your blog so thanks for the comment!

Claire Jacobs
    April 9, 2016 at 8:10 am

wow i should not have looked at this post at breakfast time, now i want a huge feast!!!
    Loving the photography, and your honesty about each dish!

April 9, 2016 at 10:48 am

Should’ve left a disclaimer warning peeps not to look during breakfast hours!! Hah!

Emma @ MaverickMammy.com
    April 9, 2016 at 11:35 am

Looks like a fab lunch! I know what you mean about the whole meal toast though, it drives me nuts if I forget to ask for it or specify that I want my sandwich made with it only to get white bread as a default.

April 9, 2016 at 11:53 am

I know right?! I get frustrated when they just presume or simply don’t offer the choice… I prefer wholemeal bread not only for the health benefits but they just taste better, less sugary in my opinion.

John Milnes
    April 11, 2016 at 10:00 am

I don’t live too far from Manchester and this restaurant sounds like a great place to eat. Just seeing this food, is making me want to eat way better food than I am currently eating. 😉

Thanks for Sharing.

John M

Chloe
    April 11, 2016 at 4:27 pm

Oh wow the food looks incredible. I love the scrambled eggs with salmon and avocado. I’ve always wanted to go to Manchester. I’d definitely check this place out. x

Helen @ Little Owl Gift Baskets
    April 11, 2016 at 8:06 pm

The food looks amazing! I really enjoyed reading your review, unfortunately I’m not likely to be in Manchester any time soon to try it out. Could you come down to Oxfordshire and review some restaurants here please!

April 11, 2016 at 9:40 pm

I would love to actually! I’ve always wanted to visit Oxford but never quite made it down there… perhaps this summer I’ll get the chance. Thanks for the comment.

Rachel
    April 12, 2016 at 1:34 pm

The food does look amazing, though your photos are fabulous 😉