Travel Tuesday

Five necessary realisations before you travel

langkawi06
langkawi05Words & Photos: @oliverinstead • Location: Langkawi, Kedah, Malaysia

The first time I travelled out of Malaysia, I was headed to the United Kingdom with only half a carry-on suitcase of clothes, a towel, a tube of Pringles… not even real Pringles but the Malaysian knock-off called Mister Potato, and nothing else – practically no knowledge of the country, the continent, the climate or the culture apart from what I’d briefly glanced on the telly… I wasn’t even half terrified.

小弟第一次出国就是来大不列颠王国。当时候的奥利佛才刚满十九岁,护照都还是新新的,没盖过印章。身上带着半包衣服,一条毛巾和两罐洋芋片就离家了… 对欧洲这里的文化,语言,气候啥的除了在电视上看过的之外,知识只不过半桶水,不过我当时候其实一点都不怕。满心只充满兴奋和期望。

I’ve learnt many lessons along the way. These are from my utmost personal experiences that may (or may not) apply to most travellers and travels, be it long, short, near or far and I believe these realisations will make your travels even better.

对一个来自北马小镇的小伙子来说,我已经去过了很多个国家。在旅途上累积了不少珍贵的旅游经验和体会到了很多的人生领悟。我接下来要说的这些话呢,是我认为想旅游的朋友们在出门前必须先备有的觉悟,才可以让你们更加享受旅游这个嗜好。

1. Timezones will drive you nuts

langkawi01True story. The worst part is when I’ve just received some exciting news (e.g. exam results) but can’t just tell my mum because she’s in bed, probably snoring away like a lil’ piggy but I wouldn’t know… Guess why? Because I’m a million bloody miles away!

The sooner you realise there’s nothing you can about that the better so just deal with it.

第一,时区真的很烦人!这是真人真事。当我还在修学那段时间,有时候在校方会收到好消息,但是我却不能够第一时间跟我的家人分享这些好消息,因为我这里虽然还是个大白天,我妈在家已经呼呼大睡得像只猪仔一样了。所以我想警告大家,你越早了解到你其实根本拿时区个没办法,就越快适应国外的生活。

langkawi04 langkawi03

2. You have freedom in everything

And I don’t just mean because you’re away from your nagging parents… maybe that too, but also you need to realise that you’re allowed to pick and choose what aspects of the native culture you want to adopt. The Brits are known to be drinkers, quite heavy ones too by my standards but I have yet to touch a drop since I moved here almost seven years ago. Remember to never feel pressurised into doing anything and always, always stay true to who you are and what you believe in.

第二,你有你个人的自由。我不是说你离家后可以为所欲为。我想表达的是凡事你可以作自己的选择。千万别被他人误导或影响。英国人好喝酒是众人皆知的,不过我开始在这里生活到现在快满七年了,连一滴都还没沾过。因为我对喝酒这件事一点兴趣都没有。就算旁人觉得我在酒吧喝白开水都多怪都好,我还是会保持我自己的信念。大家记得要做好你自己就够了。

3. It’s not always fun

langkawi08You’re in a foreign country. You may or may not speak the local lingo. You get lost. You just missed your flight. With your broken Burmese, you try to ask for direction to the nearest train station. You look downright stupid, and again, all the while you’ve just missed your flight.

第三,你身在海外,语言不通,会迷路,会赶不上飞机,想必当地人会把你看成一个大笨蛋…

langkawi07These are the risks you have to take if you want to travel. Solution? Lighten up and realise the fun in these things! They are the stories to tell when you get home, because when and where else are you going to be a completely clueless outsider and experience a totally different environment than that you’re used to?

不过这些你想要旅游的话,早就应该作好突破这些难关的心理准备。看开一点呗!这些困难将会是你回到家的时候可以给大家说的最有趣的故事。

4. The people you love will be distant

You meet new people, you make friends! Yaaay, that’s greeeat!! What’s not so great is the inevitable fact that you have to part. You can’t keep them with you all the time, which in turn I guess is great (??) because then you know who your true friends are. Remember, real friends don’t have to see each other all the time but when you do, it’ll feel like you’ve never separated. Realise that!

第四,你爱的人不会永远在你身旁。你在旅途中会和很多人插肩而过,或许还会交些朋友呢!好耶!可惜的是这些人是不能够永远一直陪伴着你… 不过我从中领悟到的是,我真正的朋友是不会因为我们相隔的距离而疏远的。真正的朋友就算是十年没见,当一见面的时候都还是会觉得昨晚刚刚才道别。

5. We’re all the same.

langkawi02Short and sweet, the last thing to realise is – underneath it all, we’re all the same. Have fun!!

最后你对旅游该领悟到的是其实在骨子里,我们大家都是一样的。祝你们旅途愉快哟!

What have you realised about travels, and just life in general? Let me know! 你在旅游时有体会过什么意识吗?记得要跟我分享哦!

Anna Nuttall
    May 10, 2016 at 10:13 am

Hi Oliver, those photos look amazing – one day i will visit Malaysia.

Helena Feofanov
    May 10, 2016 at 11:21 am

I love your photos and I completely agree with all of your points. Great post ! X

Vai Chin @Rambling Through Parenthood
    May 10, 2016 at 1:00 pm

Well said! It is so easy to forget even the most obvious when travelling :-)

StressedMum
    May 10, 2016 at 2:52 pm

What amazing photos, you are so lucky to be living where you do. We don’t travel much at the moment but do plan to in the future, your points are very good and should be taken on board if planning to travel x

May 11, 2016 at 9:32 am

Sadly I don’t live in Malaysia anymore, but I do try to visit home as regularly as possible. :)

Chloe Wright
    May 10, 2016 at 3:08 pm

Amazing photos and great advice for people travelling away from home! I’m coming to the end of my academic exchange from Manchester to Amsterdam (not as far as Malaysia to Manchester, though!) and I agree with every single one of your realisations!

Chloe

May 10, 2016 at 7:32 pm

Regardless of the distance, it takes dedication and guts to leave home…! Good on you and best of luck with your exchange!

amy lyons
    May 10, 2016 at 5:27 pm

your photography is absolutely stunning in this post! xx

Ana De- Jesus
    May 10, 2016 at 11:06 pm

What made you move to the UK seven years ago? Your right you don’t need to change who you are to fit in a different countries culture. Stay true to who you are!

May 11, 2016 at 9:26 am

Thanks for the comment, Ana. I came to the UK for education, I was in college for a year and uni for three years. I’m a big believer in education can get you places, I mean literally!

Oliver • http://suedeandsymphony.com/

Helen @ Fuss Free Living
    May 11, 2016 at 8:17 am

Beautiful photos. I adore travelling and have only got homesick once on a press trip to Canada, when on a bus trip to Niagara with a load of other Brits. My top tip when out of Europe is to take a mobile wifi so you at least have data – there is nearly always friend on Facebook awake.

May 11, 2016 at 9:06 am

That’s a great tip! I have always wanted to do that but would you bring one from home or get home when you’re at the destination?

Kara Guppy
    May 11, 2016 at 9:10 am

Stunning photographs. I don;t think I have ever been far enough away for long enough to be homesick

Fi Ni Neachtain
    May 11, 2016 at 10:13 am

Those photographs are beautiful, really fills me with a sense of wanderlust. I’ve never traveled outside of Europe so I haven’t had to deal with time zones or missing loved too much as of yet.

Charlie
    May 11, 2016 at 10:23 am

This is a lovely post…I feel dreadful that I haven’t seen more of the world.

I do however have a friend about to set off and travel the world so I’ll send them to this post!

May 11, 2016 at 12:04 pm

Thanks Charlie for the comment! Yes, share the post with them and I hope they have a great time!

Paighton Millington - The Lazy Baker
    May 11, 2016 at 12:00 pm

Great advice for people travelling away from home, I’ve never done it myself, so I can’t imagine what it must be like.
    Also, fantastic photos, absolutely beautiful!

Cassandra Mayers
    May 11, 2016 at 2:11 pm

I haven’t traveled much. But I can imagine if I did it for a long period of time all the above would become apparent to me

Jodie Marie
    May 11, 2016 at 6:06 pm

Having travelled quite a lot and lived abroad several times, I could totally relate to these. Luckily I’ve never been far enough away that my family are sleeping while I’m awake!

Sarah Bailey
    May 11, 2016 at 6:32 pm

Beautiful photographs you have such an eye. I have to admit I’ve not travelled much, it is something I would have loved to have done, had my life allowed it however. x

May 11, 2016 at 10:15 pm

Thanks. I enjoy taking pictures and it’s good to hear that people are appreciating my photography.

Rachel
    May 11, 2016 at 7:58 pm

I often wish I had travelled more, especially when I see photos as beautiful as these!

Jenni
    May 11, 2016 at 8:45 pm

Stunning photos, I wish I had travelled more. I went to India for a few months but I now think I was too young to fully appreciate it and as I was on my own being on my guard all the time was tiring x

May 11, 2016 at 10:12 pm

You should be on your guard at all times when you travel, I know it sounds cynical but plenty of people target on tourists, so we have to be extra careful but at the same time not let the danger put you off travelling… which is hard to do. :/

Kizzy
    May 12, 2016 at 5:22 am

Great tips and stunning images. Thanks for sharing this.

Amy Hunt
    May 12, 2016 at 9:44 am

I’m glad you put “not always fun” on your list. I plan to have all the fun in the world on my holiday but with illness and crazy weather it’s not always the case! Fingers crossed It’ll be a good one this year!

May 12, 2016 at 12:50 pm

Yeah, it’s true. It’s only when you realise certain things will most likely go wrong during your travels, that you won’t get too upset when they do. I hope you have a fantastic time nonetheless!

Jessica
    May 13, 2016 at 4:04 pm

No. 1 is my nightmare, especially in traveling in Indonesia which has three time zones and normally just one hour apart. That single hour can easily ruin the flight schedules. No 4, on the other hand, is a sad truth but ofcourse, knowing to love yourself first thru travels will make you to learn to love them more.

May 13, 2016 at 6:56 pm

Omg Myanmar had this 1/2 hour time difference that really bugged me… I never knew that was even a thing. I thought timezones worked by hour? Not by 1/2 hour!

Kira
    May 13, 2016 at 7:23 pm

I love how you used the word “bloody”, I use it all the time at home! How very northern :’) This post is so true! Timezones in particular, just when you have something to say to a family member or friend, you realise they are probably already in bed and won’t be able to answer at all! Thank god for today’s technology so you can get in contact when you want to (even if they don’t reply straight away)!

Stephen
    May 16, 2016 at 10:35 am

This was fantastically written and so very bloody true. Can I also add your photos are just amazing too!

MissPond
    May 17, 2016 at 6:52 am

Wonderful photos Oliver, I’d love to visit Malaysia some time. I definitely agree with these points after spending a lot of time travelling round the US and Europe. Thank god for the addition of clocks from around the world into the iPhone clock app eh?! You need never worry about waking someone up again 😉

Rhian Westbury
    May 27, 2016 at 10:28 am

Such a great post and it’s good that you haven’t given into pressures and differences in culture here. x