Chit-chats

Five facts about me

personal01
Words: @oliverinstead • Photos: David • Location: Royal Crescent, Bath

I have blogged much about my clothes, my travels and many other things I heart but I rarely ever write much about myself as a person with actual feelings, plans and ambitions. Yes, I have written one of these “about me” posts before but it desperately needs some updating now that I have some new readers so here are five quick, random facts about me.

one

As a child, I wished I had a little bro/sis because I’m just so paternal and would love to have a younger sibling that I could look after. Nowadays, I’m content with my elder sis’ three kids… although I’d be lying if I said I didn’t wish I played a bigger and more present role in their childhood.

two

I struggle with three irrational fears: herpetophobia, trypophobia and thalassophobia/megalohydrothalassophobia. However, I conquered the last one earlier this year on a whale watching trip in New Zealand. Let’s just say it was an once-in-a-lifetime, out-of-body experience I will never forget.

three

I have always been fascinated by language and dreamed of speaking fluent English from a young age, hence my degree in Linguistics and the English Language but most people have no idea that I actually came to the UK initially to study Law.

four

Ever since I watched Kiki’s Delivery Service for the first time, I’ve had this idea of opening a bakery one day. As far as I’m concerned, it is still going to happen eventually and everyday I’m working closer towards that goal… Oh, I’ve even decided on the name! 😉

five

Since this is a personal style blog, here’s an obligatory fashion fact: growing up I suffered from severe lack of self-confidence. I figured the only way to overcome my self-doubt was to dress the best I could so I started taking interest in fashion. Long story short, what began as a front quickly developed into a genuine, fiery passion… something I cannot live without.

Thanks so much for reading. I hope you’ve enjoyed these facts but enough of me, I want to hear your own weird (and I have no doubt, wonderful) facts! What phobia troubles you? Your childhood dreams? How about your dreams right now? Go on, spill!

P/S Sorry for a short post but this is only the first of two posts I have for you this week, yup… because I’m just feeling so bloggy and generous~

Dannii @ Hungry Healthy Happy
    July 4, 2016 at 5:28 pm

I wish that I had a younger brother or sister, but I was very lucky to have an awesome older brother!

MissPond
    July 4, 2016 at 7:09 pm

I’d love to open a bakery with a little cafe attached to it too. I’m not sure it’ll happen for me though. Great post!

July 5, 2016 at 9:48 pm

It will happen if you set your mind to it, unless there are other goals you’re more determined to accomplish!

Joanne Mallon
    July 5, 2016 at 3:22 pm

Oliver, you totally can overcome all your phobias. I had severe fear of driving for around 7 years. Eventually I conquered that fear and went on to write a book about it. And the book has helped thousands of people all around the world conquer their fear of driving and get back on the road. So never think that these things are forever. The Big Universe has a plan and it will probably take you in a direction you never expected. Though I do like the sound of that bakery!

July 5, 2016 at 11:34 pm

This is the most uplifting comment I’ve ever received and thanks! I’d love to read your book… I’ve never lived my life governed by those fears but they do bother me, a lot. The bakery though, is not my ultimate goal but something I’d love to make happen.

Jon Stansberry
    July 5, 2016 at 9:20 pm

I have an older sister, but I always wanted an older brother. I’ve never connected with my sister the way that brothers do. I think this why I am attracted to older men… I won’t bore people with psychology and I will stop revealing embarrassing secrets about myself! … I’m gonna go over there now… xD

July 5, 2016 at 9:47 pm

Now we’re getting personal haha! Quite the opposite for me as I’m best connected with my sis than my two brothers. ☺️

Lemon Fancy
    August 9, 2016 at 12:42 am

I was a sufferer of trypophobia but I started playing Destiny on the Xbox and man was it a trigger! I would itch and be really anxious whilst playing, I persevered though as I love the game and just think I over exposed myself. I now ignore it completely and just don’t think about it! Awful syndrome BUT totally not irrational – I spent ages looking it up and have some bizarre theories!

August 9, 2016 at 8:45 pm

Oh no… just thinking about it now gets me all tingly inside. I’m never getting over it… :(

Good to hear that you managed to conquer it though! It gives me a very tiny glimpse of hope!