Fashion

Five knitwear shopping tips

cactuspost1xx
Words & Photo: @oliverinstead

It’s September; which means autumn, which means layering, which means knitwear! Although for someone like me who grew up in the tropics, there is never an inappropriate time for wrapping up toasty. Due to my exceptionally low endurance to the European chills, I have shopping knitwear for autumn/winter down to a science.

one

The first thing to look for in knitwear is always, always the colour. Lucky for me, my Far Eastern complexion allows me to effortlessly pull off trickier tones like a mustard yellow *winks* but truthfully, I have made some bad colour choices that I’m still regretting these days. For now, I’ll stick to softer shades of grey, brown and white.

two

Familiarise yourself with the types of knitting patterns; waffle, cable, Celtic, ribtwisted, etc then pick a favourite, one that suits your style. Personally, I prefer a less fussy texture so waffles are my go-to – it’s versatile and suits any occasion… that said, introducing a variety of patterns to your wardrobe wouldn’t hurt.

three

Know that not all knits have to be “fit-for-the-office“. Even though I do usually stay true to size, from time to time I size up or down depending largely just on my mood when shopping but occasionally on various other factors, like the cut and how I intend the style that particular item.

four

As much as I love to think I have all the money in the world to splash out on some lovely Private White V.C. sweats left, right and centre, the truth is I don’t. My advice for those who share the agony is unless you tend to feel the cold more, don’t spend too much too frequently : invest in a good knit every A/W, perhaps an extra statement piece, the rest can be high street and no one has to know.

five

A/W is not the only time to shop for knitwear, there are tons of unsold knits from last season on during the summer sale and that’s the time to stock up on ’em cozy ganseys. If you’ve been paying attention, you’d notice that my style direction is very minimal and simplicity never goes out of style. So have no fear, as long as you avoid the “trendy” pieces, your summer finds will stylishly carry you through to the colder days… because they’ll come.

If you need some inspiration, check out the extensive selection of knitwear on House of Fraser, including plenty reduced in price.

lily kate
    September 5, 2016 at 2:35 pm

Knitwear is one of my favourite parts of winter – I’m a knitted myself, so they’re even more important! Handmade knits that you can tailor to fit your body exactly are great, I’m sure you’d like them.
    Agreed about the neutral palettes – garish knits are just too much!
    Lily Kate x
    jolihouse.com

September 6, 2016 at 3:45 pm

Nothing beats a hand-knitted winter jumper…! Too bad I can’t knit to save my life D;

Yasmin
    September 5, 2016 at 4:39 pm

I’m so glad I can slowly begin to transition into my Autumn attire now. I’m blonde and blue-eyed and love a simple, bright white chunky knit with a bold red lip. So excited to wear comfy clothes every day! Great post, love your blog I just discovered it :)

Y x | http://www.thesweetsevenfive.com

September 6, 2016 at 3:47 pm

That’s a really classy look! I’ve always thought women pull off winter jumpers much better than men, and that’s not fair :(

Thanks Yasmin, please drop by more often 😀

Angela
    September 5, 2016 at 8:21 pm

I do like knitwear and its the perfect time to get some for Autumn. Nice post Oliver.

Kara
    September 7, 2016 at 8:08 am

The best bit of Autumn is digging out the chunky cardigans :)

September 9, 2016 at 12:14 pm

Yasss! Someone understands! 😀

Karen
    September 7, 2016 at 9:12 am

100% one of the best reasons that Autumn/Winter is my favourite time of the year. Big chunky scarves and woolly blankets on the couch. You just can’t beat it!

Elsa Eats
    September 8, 2016 at 9:04 am

I often feel that knitwear can swamp me since I’m rather small and petite, but one of the best compliments I’ve gotten was from a chunky cable knit turtle-neck I have. It helps it was a cropped number and I wore a simple high waisted skirt to balance out the textures going on.

September 9, 2016 at 12:15 pm

I’m not a fan of chunky knits, as I said in the post but I do need to find myself a good turtle-neck knit.

LaaLaa
    September 9, 2016 at 9:35 am

I feel knitwear always makes me feel and look bigger, I can’t get into it anymore as a child I love knitwear but I guess there’s different types x

Cristina Leigh
    September 9, 2016 at 5:00 pm

I love this post, knitwear is definitely one of my favourite parts of autumn/winter. I feel i’m the same as you in that I don’t like the fuzzy type! I have a favourite jumper that I invested in last year and cannot wait to get it out when it gets that little bit colder!x

Vivian
    October 13, 2016 at 10:09 am

Knitwear is seriously the best! I’m originally from California so I rarely get a chance to bundle up; now that I’m in Manchester, bundling up in cozy knits is a must! Great post :]