Travel Tuesday

Five things I learned about: Malta

malta blog - armier bay
Words: @oliverinstead • Photo: David & Myself • Location: Various places in Malta

As I mentioned at the end of my previous post in the series, I was going to spend a (long) weekend in Malta, and I did. It was a brilliant change of scenery in the sun and sea, and I learned quite a bit about the archipelago that no blogs, tourists info sites, or Tripadvisor tips had prepared me for…

one Malta is NOT a place for veggies / vegans

I really hate to be the one who moans constantly about cities and countries not being accommodating enough to veggies and vegans, but Malta’s got to be one of the least veggie- or vegan-friendly places I’ve ever visited. I’ve been quizzed plenty of times since my return if I would go back to Malta in the near future, and I’m always hesitant to say yes just because of the limited dining-out options there… for me personally.

two You’ll pretty much survive on carbs

The Maltese cuisine is very much Mediterranean – think pizzas and pasta, and more pizzas, and more pasta… It’s very carb-heavy, so those who are on a low-carb diet… Beware!! Also, if you don’t have a taste for Italian cuisine, you should probably look elsewhere in Europe for your next food adventure.

malta blogmalta blog - ferry

three A car is essential

Ok, Malta is not a big country by any stretch of the imagination and it does boast a very well-connected transport system… (Notes : Buses do stop running very early in the evening though!) However, there are some secret spots that are more off-the-beaten-path and not as easy to reach unless you have a car, including the very tranquil Armier Bay, and Għajn Tuffieħa Bay, where you can catch the best sunset in the entire island-state – which leads us to the next thing I learned…

malta blog - valletta

four The beach… THE BEEEACHES!!

I mean, I’m from the tropics, and we have some pretty darn good beaches there, but I’ve never seen anything that could quite compare to the Maltese beaches! Neither have I ever seen seawater so clear and free of pollution in my life.

Quick tip : If you’re after a quiet beach where you can really chill. Find a way to get to Armier Bay. While you’re there, make sure you opt for the ‘deal’ at Victoria Bar & Restaurant; for less than €10, you get a beach lounge chair, beach parasol, and lunch (a main meal and a cold / hot drink).

five It really is that stunning

Few places on earth are as pretty in real life as they are in picture-perfect postcards, and Malta is definitely one of them!

Whether you’re the type that wanders around villages and photographs the local life, or the type that’s after a secluded seaside town where you can relax and unwind – Malta is breathetakingly beautiful.

malta blog - sunset

Comment below, have you ever been to Malta? If you have, do you agree with my points? If not, I hope that you’ve enjoyed this post and that these little tips will come in handy if / when you travel there in the future!

*** This feels like a slippery slope where Suede & Symphony is slowly transitioning into a travel blog… and as much as I love travelling, the next post will deffo have to be a style-related one… so keep your eyes peeled! ***

Alice
    October 17, 2017 at 12:13 pm

Malta isn’t a country I’ve ever thought of visiting before, but it looks really beautiful! It’s a pity about the lack of vegan options – I suppose cocktails are a good replacement?

October 17, 2017 at 12:15 pm

Haha I’m sure they would’ve been if I drank… but I don’t! You’re right, it’s a very underrated destination for most people, and it is a little far to travel to just for a weekend, but it is absolutely stunning!

ZenitaJemella
    October 17, 2017 at 12:35 pm

I have seen so many people venture to Malta this year and they all had similar things to say about the food which is disappointing but the beaches and scenery are so beautiful I can imagine you came back rejuvenated

October 17, 2017 at 1:13 pm

Good to know it wasn’t just me… the food, even for meat eaters like my partner, was so-so. But the scenery tho ??

Helen C
    October 17, 2017 at 3:55 pm

Beautiful photos! Wish you had posted a couple more.

Charli
    October 17, 2017 at 4:00 pm

Yeah, Malta isn’t known for veggie/vegan friendly meals! But I love carb heavy meals – after all, you’re not on holiday every day.

C x
    CurvyGirlThin.com

October 17, 2017 at 4:20 pm

I learned that very quickly! Ha!

chichi
    October 17, 2017 at 5:14 pm

i have been wanting to go to Malta since the year started, hopefully, next year, the pictures are stunning!

October 17, 2017 at 5:16 pm

Thanks! You probably couldn’t tell from the mixed opinions in my post, but I would definitely recommend it!

Nancy Laws (@SheMeets)
    October 19, 2017 at 5:05 pm

Thank you for this, great tips for anyone interested in exploring this small but clearly beautiful country!

MissPond
    October 19, 2017 at 8:24 pm

Tbh Europe has been very slow to accommodate to veggies in general, I know some places are great now. But back when I was veggie I struggled on holiday. France was awful! Malta looks very pretty though, I’d be tempted to visit for that, although it’s never been on my ‘to visit’ list!

Katrina
    October 19, 2017 at 9:19 pm

I can’t say Malta’s ever been on my wish list but it looks beautiful

Nichola - Globalmouse
    October 20, 2017 at 6:48 am

I love your photos, we did a stop off to Malta on a cruise and fell in love with it and really want to return. Such a shame about the food though, as a veggie that’s a bit worrying. I still want to go back though, it looks so beautiful.

October 20, 2017 at 4:28 pm

Don’t let that stop you though! It’s an absolutely beautiful place… as I’m sure you already know!