Chit-chats Lifestyle Travel Tuesday

What I Honestly Think Lisbon Is …

Words & Photos: Yours truly • Location: Everywhere in Lisbon

So, last week I went to Portugal to the first time… and if you’ve seen my Stories (follow me on Insta now!), you’d know that it was a brilliant trip.

Like with most places I go to, I always conclude the visit with a blog post composed of a few photos taken in and my thoughts about the city – and Lisbon is no different. So read on to find what I think Lisbon really is, and in my opinion, Lisbon is…

pricey.

Our Airbnb here cost more than the one we had in Rome, which (in my honest opinion) was nicer and had a good view over the trendy neighbourhood of Monti. Maybe I was just ignorant, or naïve, or a bit of both, but I just presumed that the price-point would be higher in the Italian capital. To give you a better idea of the cost of Lisbon, this was the only European getaway where we had to withdraw extra cash as far as I can remember.

Don’t get me wrong, there are way more expensive places to visit in Europe but I honestly didn’t expect Lisbon to be as expensive as it turned out to be.

Lisbon travel tips 03

vibrant.

If there’s one thing that Lisbon lacks – it’s dullness, in every sense of the word. Lisbon is one of those cities where there’s life everywhere. In fact, life just spills into the streets every corner you turn and every hill you climb.

… but I honestly don’t believe that any photos you find on Google will ever do this city justice. And as much as I hate to sound cheesy, you really have to be there to fully appreciate it.

friendly.

In general, we found the locals to be welcoming, easy-going, and approachable – even to us non-Portuguese speakers.

Real talk tho: as with most things in life, there are exceptions – during our daily strolls around Alfama, we noticed quite a bit of hostility towards tourism in the form of graffiti and vandalism. One particular instance that stuck out to me the most was the quote “Tourism is human pollution.” spray-painted across a wall.

As a self-proclaimed wannabe-globetrotter, I honestly do not agree with that mentality at all but that’s a subject reserved for another occasion…

Lisbon travel tips 02

Thanks for sitting through yet another #TravelTuesday post with me… there will be more photos from Lisbon at some point but I have something slightly different planned for my next blog entry, which I’m hoping will go live in the next couple of weekends.

I hope you’ve enjoyed my thoughts on Lisbon, and if you’re (thinking of) travelling there soon; I hope you’ve found my commentary somewhat useful. Until the next one, see ya!

Oliver ❤️

Joanne Mallon
    May 15, 2018 at 10:25 am

Really enjoyed reading this. Never been to Lisbon but I’m quite interested in it after seeing it on the Eurovision Song Contest on Saturday. Happy travels!

May 15, 2018 at 12:00 pm

Yasss! We were watching those clips where they travelled to different places in Portugal and thought “Where is THAT?!!” It’s definitely one of the (many) countries I want to see more of!

Naomi
    May 15, 2018 at 10:40 am

I loved Portugal but totally get what u mean! Love those tiles too, can u imagine houses styled like that here!?

May 15, 2018 at 11:27 am

Everywhere would be an Insta hotspot if all houses in the UK were decorated with these tiles!

Alice Cruickshank
    May 15, 2018 at 11:30 am

I’ve been dying to go to Lisbon, mainly because of the stunning architecture. Some really useful information here, thanks!

Anca
    May 15, 2018 at 12:18 pm

“Tourism is human pollution.” sounds horrible. I can’t even imagine how awful would be read something like this on holiday. I’m surprised that is pricey too, I wouldn’t have guessed that.

May 15, 2018 at 1:40 pm

THANK YOU! It’s not just us, it IS a bit harsh! We didn’t let it affect us though… we usually laugh these things off.

Kelly
    May 16, 2018 at 7:49 am

I agree that no photos really do justice to Lisbon. The light is so special there.

May 16, 2018 at 12:56 pm

That’s another thing! The light is absolutely beautiful… so any picture you take is naturally going to look stunning.

Rebecca | AAUBlog
    May 16, 2018 at 8:46 am

I went to Portugal last week for the first time too, except it was for a wedding in Porto. Some of the wedding party went to Lisbon beforehand and said they really enjoyed it, though it was larger and harder to get to things than Porto

May 16, 2018 at 12:55 pm

I can attest to that: it’s not easy to get around Lisbon… especially when I was there, large chunk of the 28 route wasn’t functional so we had to resort to Uber on several occasions. I hope you get to see Lisbon one day though, it’s beautiful!

Fritha Quinn
    May 16, 2018 at 12:49 pm

oh I love Lisbon! I went for a weekend once and would love to go back, your pics are beautiful x